In 2011 XIII Squadron was disbanded, leaving the Company without an RAF affiliation.
Keen to retain its links with the RAF, the Company approached IX (B) Squadron who had no affiliation with any Livery Company. The affiliation was blessed by the Chief of the Air Staff and the Court and the affiliation will be formally recognised at a ceremony in the Hall early in 2012.
IX (B) Squadron is one of the oldest Squadrons in the RAF, formed in December 1914 at St Omer in France. It was the first Squadron to be equipped with wireless telegraphy and used to direct artillery.
Since its formation it has flown 22 different types of aircraft. Its current aircraft is the Tornado, the longest serving aircraft surpassing the 20 years of meritorious service performed by the Vulcan.
The Tornado has delivered offensive air and tactical reconnaissance capabilities in the Middle East, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.
The Squadron’s present base is at RAF Marham. For more information go to www.raf.mod.uk/rafmarham/aboutus/